Tuesday 2 September 2014

Learning the Basics

I think I have finally cracked my running addiction and replaced it with an equally, if not more addictive sport. Rowing has crept its way and lodged itself deep in my heart as my newest challenge and passion.

I started out 8 weeks ago - all set to hop in a double scull with Coach Hils (Hillary Abraham). Mother nature clearly wasn't playing ball, so session one was spent on the ergo (Rowing Machine) due to crazy wind and choppy conditions. Round 2 was far more successful, and with the likes of Hils in the boat with me, I took to the boat and the glassy harbour "like a duck to water"

Clambering into a single scull a few sessions later highlighted the fact that the stability of the "duck" was clearly thanks to Hils. My first session in the single included a graceful swim and less elegant re-embarkation which left me and my ego bruised. These things need to happen though, I've realised that baby fails are merely stepping stones to highlight the tiny bits we need to focus on to improve. I've set my larger than life goals and the grind of the day to day pushing through the baby ones has begun. 8 weeks in and I've learnt a whole new vocabulary, how not to fall in (and how to get back in when I do) and how to let go of old goals to get focussed on new ones. I'm so excited at the prospect of where this adventure is going to take me.

It's an adventure, which has started at home - giving me a little something to take with me to the UK where I will be doing my MSc in Applied sports and Exercise Nutrition (as a good excuse to travel Europe).

Some Vocab for Non-Rowers....
Feathering a blade is when the blade (or oar) exits the water and is turned so that it is parallel to the water (when it is perpendicular, and under the water to propel your boat forwards this is called squared blades).
Another important phrase I've learned is "catching a crab" -or in my case, enough crabs to make a full 3 course crab meal. This is when one of the blades (or both) don't exit or enter the water properly - the equivalent of a 'Freshy' in racket, bat and club sports.



My first time in a single scull (Post ego - bruising).


No comments:

Post a Comment